Saturday, September 8, 2007

Shalom

After not being able to sleep (see previous post), I went and purchased Shalom Hanoch's "Exit" - a double CD acoustic live performance. I've been listening to it on repeat ever since. Now I'm cleaning the old flat, listening to "Road Song". It describes driving through a landscape which recalls the Galilee, while clouds gather in the sky in preparation for a heavy rainstorm. Somehow, it's a love song.

The road winds,
an Arab village,
fig trees on the slope,
a man wearing a kafiyah, women in black,
herders have already gathered in the goats.
I'm flying to you like a bird,
no need for a vehicle.
Coming home - very soon
I know you won't leave me outside.

I've always appreciated Hanokh as a pioneer of rock music in Israel (he was part of the groundbraking "Tamouz" outfit in 1976). I was never a fan. Why do I like his stuff so much right now? Perhaps, for the first time, I actually identify with it. My dialogues with Israel, with the Hebrew language, with the American musical heritage, with the idea of manhood and with the Tel-Avivian life style, all have changed over the recent while. now the match is good, and "Exit" is a good album.

At 61 years of age, Hanoch gives knockout live shows which often start at 2:00 AM. Youtube features not a single bit of decent relevant footage. The nearest thing is this performance that's split into two clips, featuring blues guitarist Roni Peterson. It may not sound that way, but the song describes a homosexual experience. It is a classic - enjoy.

1 comment:

Ari said...

Hey Yuval-- I didn't actually get your post till pretty late last night but I hope you enjoyed your night out. I just found a flyer in front of my house which I sloppily translated into something of an open-mic night and music at Slow Moshe ,so I will be going to that later on. I tried to look up the poetry journal Ketem online last night but couldn't find much. Perhaps the website is in Hebrew... I assume? Anyhow, I'd love to try and read some of the poetry so let me know if there's any available on the net. Cheers!, Ariela