Friday, March 5, 2010

What I know because I'm a Jew

This city I live in is meaningless. It may be destroyed.
This home I live in is meaningless. It may be burned.
This object I hold dear is meaningless. It may be stolen.
This person I love is meaningless. They may be shot tomorrow.
This business I built is meaningless. It may be shut down.
This job I value is meaningless. I may get fired anyday.
This country I love is meaningless. I may get deported tomorrow.
This God I worship is meaningless. He may not stand by me.
This neighbor I trust in is meaningless. He may hand me in.
This freedom I have is meaningless. I may be jailed tomorrow.
This life I cherish is meaningless. I may be murdered tomorrow.
This moment I take to think of all this is everything. I am free.

2 comments:

Dimi Reider said...

(I'd say this is what it means to be a cultural and/or political dissident of any creed in any society...)

יובל בן-עמי Yuval Ben-Ami said...

You're more than right, but I just came back from Warsaw and felt very strongly how "Buddhist" Jewish history made me. Everything can vanish any day, completely. So we might as well disattach and be free.